It's no secret that proper dental care is important and expensive. If you have an HRA through your employer, there's a silver lining beyond having a dazzling smile. Your dental insurance premiums can be reimbursed through your health reimbursement arrangement from your employer, either through a Qualified Small Employer HRA or an Individual Coverage HRA. Take Command has partnered with Renaissance Dental to roll out this new dental benefit on our platform. Here's the scoop.
Dental care isn't just about gum health and plaque and cavities. A trip to the dentist is preventative care for your health.
Did you know that your dentist can detect about 120 different signs and symptoms of non-dental diseases during a routine examination? In fact, dentists can detect serious medical issues early:
- Crohn’s Disease
- Gum disease
- Heart disease
- Intense stress (hello teeth grinding)
- Oral cancer
- Rheumatoid arthritis
And one more thing to consider: regular preventive dental care can lower your blood sugar levels, which actually helps you manage your overall health (and healthcare costs). Sweet!
Introducing our new dental partner, Renaissance Dental
We have partnered with Renaissance Dental to allow our clients to offer their employees affordable dental insurance that can be reimbursed tax-free with their HRA.
Here's what their dental plans through Take Command offer:
- Affordable pricing. Single member plans starting at $40 per month, with $50 individual deductible and $1,000 annual maximum.
- No waiting periods. Typically, there are 6-month waiting periods before a cavity can be filled, but with the Take Command offering through Renaissance Dental, waiting periods have been waived.
- 100% coverage for diagnostic and preventative services. No charge to you when you receive diagnostic, preventative service or annual cleaning from an in-network provider.
- Robust networks. Renaissance has an extensive footprint with more than 300,000 top quality providers across the country.
- No copays
- Great customer service!
What does Renaissance Dental cover?
The chart below summarizes expected costs for different types of care for both in and out of network.
Disclaimer: Rates vary by state and age
Is your dentist in network with Renaissance Dental?
Renaissance Dental has an extensive network of partner providers (300,000+ dental providers, in fact!). Follow the link for a provider search tool to check if your favorite dentist is in network. Their provider search tool will be a better resource than calling your dentist and asking about Renaissance Dental.
Pro-tip: Take Command's plan with Renaissance Dental allows you to go to any dentist, but you'll save on out of pocket costs if you stick with in-network providers.
HRAs and Dental Insurance
Your HRA can be used to reimburse for medical premiums, as well as premiums for dental and vision insurance. If your employer also reimburses for medical expenses, your leftover HRA dollars (after paying your premiums) can cover the costs that dental insurance does not, alleviating out of pocket costs.
How to get set up with dental insurance
On the Take Command platform, when you're done shopping for medical insurance, you'll be prompted to select whether or not you want a dental plan. If you choose to, you'll be directed to Renaissance Dental's partner site. And remember, you'll only see this option to select a dental plan if your employer has selected to make it available.
Here's what it will look like:
Here are the steps to sign up for a dental plan on our platform:
- Shop for medical insurance on the Take Command platform.
- The platform will ask if you want to shop for dental insurance. Say yes!
- You'll be redirected to our partner, Renaissance Dental, to complete your enrollment.
- Set up a recurring premium on the Take Command portal.
- Get reimbursed on your paycheck for dental premiums.
- Visit a participating dentist and their office will complete and file claims for you.
We are here to help you navigate this insurance adventure and figure out what works bets for you. Chat with us at the bottom of this screen or email email@example.com for help!
I wrote this blog because I care about ideas (big and little) that can help fix our healthcare system. I used to work on projects for Kaiser Permanente and the Parkland Health & Hospital System so I've seen the system inside and out. It's so important that consumers keep up with industry shifts and changing health insurance regulations. I'm also Take Command Health's Content Editor and a busy mom. Learn more about me and connect with me on our about us page. Thanks!